Returning FZ100 - so G2 or GH1?

Started Dec 12, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Serenoa Forum Member • Posts: 75
Returning FZ100 - so G2 or GH1?

I was active in photograpy 25 years ago (pre-digital) and have a closet full of 35mm stuff, but have only used P&S for last 10 years. Now I have a TZ5 and really like it, but wanted more control, etc. so I ordered the FZ100 a week ago hoping it would fill the bill without having to go to multiple lenses, etc.

But I realize that I do want more lens variety and a larger sensor. So I am returning the FZ100 and think I have narrowed down it's replacement to the G2 or GH1. I have no interest in video, very low-light indoor photography, or action shots. I mostly take outdoor beach, hiking, and animal photos. Also macro. I used alot of photos in digital art through Photoshop.

While using the FZ100, I realized I love the articulated LCD and definately want that feature. I am also very interested in the touch screen of the G2, as I have not warmed to the control wheel for adjustments. Actually on the FZ100, manual focus is a real chore, but I know the m4/3 lenses allow ring focus instead (right?). I am just getting into digital camera use instead of traditional SLR and not sure of all the ways the cameras work.

So my questions are:

1. Using the same lenses (either 14-140 or the combo of 14-42 and 45-200) on either the G2 or the GH1 - what are pros and cons of each camera body? I like the idea of the touch screen on the G2, but wonder if there are some advantages of the GH1 that I haven't thought about.

2. Is it practical to consider utilizing some of my legacy 35mm lenses on either of the cameras? Particularly Minolta MC Rokkor 55mm 1.7, Vivitar WA 20mm 3.8, or Topcor 58 mm 1.4? I know I will lose AF and stabilization.

If this has been covered in previous threads sorry, but I couldn't find any.

BTW - GH2 is not out of the question, but I don't feel like waiting around for months and don't think I need the additional MP particularly.

TIA

Serenoa's gear list:Serenoa's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow