High Speed Video- FH100, Manual Mode, ISO "AUTO" Mystery

Started Dec 4, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chas Tennis Contributing Member • Posts: 837
High Speed Video- FH100, Manual Mode, ISO "AUTO" Mystery

ISO AUTO Mystery

Using my FH 100 in direct sunlight with MANUAL MODE and setting the ISO level there is plenty of light to get well exposed high speed videos. For example, 240fps, Aperture: 3.2, Shutter Speed: 1/5,000 sec, ISO: 1600, video is bright. The camera works fine in Manual mode setting the ISO.

The mystery - in direct sunlight if I pick the aperture and shutter speed BUT leave the camera ISO on "AUTO" the videos come out darker and unusably dark at the shorter exposure times. For example, 240fps, Aperture: 3.2, Shutter Speed: 1/5,000 sec, ISO: "AUTO", yields a very dark, unusable video. My camera does not work well in Manual mode letting the camera ISO "AUTO" select the ISO level. ?

If this applies to other FH100's it would be important since a lot of users would get images that are too dark using AUTO. They could do much better setting the ISO to a higher available value.

1) Has anyone else noticed a similar result with their FH100s? (It takes less than 5 minutes to duplicate the test above.)

2) Is there a better way to operate using ISO AUTO?

3) Any thought about what is going on?

Chas Tennis

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow