Best Walkaround Prime Lens for New 7D

Started Nov 28, 2010 | Discussions thread
AC1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,171
Re: Best Walkaround Prime Lens for New 7D

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but given you seem to be on the verge of a 7D now but likely to shift to FF in the foreseeable future (you mentioned 5D III when it appears), then you might want to choose lenses that will work for both...

steve88 wrote:

I'm trying to decide between one of the following three prime lenses for a general purpose walkaround lens on a 7D. For telephoto work, I'm going to buy a 200 f/2.8L II USM but I need something to carry with me for street and general purpose photography. I searched the forum but most of the recommendations are for zooms and I've decided to go with primes. I like the fact that primes give you arguably sharper images and are lighter. I also like that they force you to think a lot more about composition and creating a good shot. I don't mind zooming with my feet.

35mm f/2
50mm f/1.4 USM
85mm f/1.8 USM

All three of these seem to get decent reviews. I have the money to get the more expensive L versions of these lenses but I'm not sure it's really worth it as I've seen some pretty good photos from all three of these. I'm thinking the 85 might be a bit too long on a crop body but it's hard for me to say since I've never used one before.

Any advice from people who use or have used these lenses would be greatly appreciated!

AC1's gear list:AC1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow