D3s Expectations

Started Nov 30, 2010 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Unorthodox Junior Member • Posts: 28
D3s Expectations

Hi there,

I currently have two feet firmly planted in the Sony camp, with 3 bodies and decent selection of lenses. Overall I'm pretty happy with my set-up, but I would love to have access to the high ISO capabilities of the D3s combined with the 51 AF points. So I'm thinking of investing in a D3s, 14-24mm, 24-70mm & 70-200mm VR2, while keeping the rest of my Sony gear.

But I'm wondering if my expectations are a little too high? Judging from reviews/stats and the like, I've built up a mental image of being able to shoot at ISO 6400 and after PP have an image that's pretty noiseless.

Is this completely unreasonable? Also, should I expect amazingly fast autofocus, or just slightly better than the Sony a900?

It would be great if there's any current or ex-Sony users that use the D3/s could comment on this. At the minute I'm fairly certain it's the path I'd like to take, as the other option Canon doesn't have a full frame body that'd suit my needs.

And finally, would anyone be able to suggest a good online source of information & community for all things Nikon? Dyxum serves me very well for Sony related items and I'd love to find something similar.

Unorthodox's gear list:Unorthodox's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 II
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
tyb
mzd
mzd
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
mzd
tmy
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow