Standard/Tele Zooms for Canon 7D

Started Nov 22, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
xlr8or New Member • Posts: 22
Standard/Tele Zooms for Canon 7D

I'm having trouble deciding on a lens for a Canon 7D that I'm planning to purchase. Here are the lenses in no certain order that I'm interested in:

Canon 24-70 f/2.8L
Canon 24-105 f/4.0L IS
Canon 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 VC
Tamron 18-270 f/3.5-6.3 VC

My top three needs in a lens are 1. Tack sharpness, 2. build quality (I want something that will last), 3. Freedom from Chromatic Aberration, and 4. Image Stabilization (I really don't need this, but it would be nice to have).

I'm concerned that there are negatives in all the review that I read about each of these lenses. I would like to have a good all around zoom to start out with on my 7D that will show off the capabilities of the camera. I will primarily be using the camera for candid family shots and for outdoor scenic shots. The Canon 24-70 f/2.8L seems to have a number of negative comments about sharpness. How well do these lenses stack up against each other and which one would you recommend (and why)? Are there others not on the list above that I should consider?

Thanks

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow