Firmware Update Warning! (Max OS X 10.6)

Started Nov 20, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SteveNunez
SteveNunez Contributing Member • Posts: 934
Firmware Update Warning! (Max OS X 10.6)

Hey guys, I just registered my VG10 and was prompted to the Firmware Update released today from Ver.1 to Ver.2

I followed the instructions for Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and proceeded to update the firmware. During the update (Sony runs a small installer program that has an interface that shows the update being applied) the Mac Mini (new 2010 version) suffered a Kernel Panic and drew a grey screen and froze still!

The Mac was able to restart but the VG10 was dead- nothing I could do would cause the VG10 to operate (removed battery and restarted, removed SD card etc....camera was dead!)

I tried installing the update with a new 2010 Macbook Air and the same exact kernel panic occurred!!

Luckily I have an Asus Netbook which runs Windows XP and I downloaded the Firmware software for that OS and ran it again and the Sony VG10 was able to communicate with the software (via USB cable) and it was able to restore and update the camera to Ver 2.

This was quite a scare and I'd like to warn others of my experience.

If this should happen to anyone here, you may be able to revive the camera using a Windows PC....be
warned!

(I followed the instructions to the letter and have updated a few cameras in the past with FW updates- so this isn't new for me.)
Steve Nunez-New York City
http://www.stevenunez.com

SteveNunez's gear list:SteveNunez's gear list
Lytro Illum Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Olympus E-M1 +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow