How do you combat the amateur at weddings, etc.

Started Nov 18, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jim Barclay Regular Member • Posts: 141
How do you combat the amateur at weddings, etc.

I've done 100's of weddings in my life and while in the days of film, us old pros had it their way. Now, with the onslaught of Point and Shoot and entry-level DSLR's a lot of weddings I hear about are being cut-throat-ed by those who think they're an Ansell Adams!

Personally, it doesn't matter to me anymore. I just have a set fee and if they get ALL their prints and images from their rellies, I still have my paid fee. Is that how you guys are doing it? Do you see a change coming on?

One wedding I did had at least 100 PP's cameras popping off.. so trying to make sales on photos is in most parts, a waste of time, unless of course, you have a written agreement with the bridal party that they will buy so many photos, albums etc.

The trend I see over here in Oz at least, many pros will now just shoot the event and hand over all the images on DVD's and let the wedding couple do what they want with them.

Many young couples are on a budget and if you work within that (providing its not too low to cover your time, travel, and equipment etc) I have have found this method works.

Sorry to be winded in this post, but what are your thoughts on the pro photography wedding industry?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow