Samyang 85/1.4 vs Nikkor 85/1.8 AF-D

Started Nov 10, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
The Big One Veteran Member • Posts: 4,564
Samyang 85/1.4 vs Nikkor 85/1.8 AF-D

Hello all,

I am in the early planning stages of finding a suitable 85mm portrait lens. I am currently debating between the Samyang 85/1.4 and the Nikkor 85/1.8. My budget is about CAD$500 (which can basically cover the Nikkor new, from local store). I am aware of the difference with AF / MF (I currently have a 50/1.4 AIS which I am learning to MF with). If I go the Samyang route, I am likely going to get a Katzeye or similar screen to help focusing, so the prices between Samyang + Katzeye and Nikkor are pretty much the same.

I am therefore interested in how these two compare in real life shooting. Does anyone have both of these lenses and has compared them? I am interested mostly in sharpness / contrast in wide open shots (or stopped down to f/2.8 at the most; I don't tend to shoot portraits at a higher aperture than that).

(And yes, I am sure that either of these will be fine in real life shooting. I just tend to do pixel peeping before a purchase, and then just look at the actual images afterward.)

Cheers
--
--Wyatt
http://photos.digitalcave.ca
All images (c) unless otherwise specified, please ask me before editing.

The Big One's gear list:The Big One's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow