Testing DxO DR numbers with an experiment

Started Nov 7, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 8,552
Testing DxO DR numbers with an experiment

In the K5 DxO thread that just reached 150 posts, Iliah Borg suggested shooting a newspaper with gradually decreasing exposure and looking at the text readability as a means of confirming DxO's DR numbers. I took that suggestion to heart and tried the experiment on my D5000 @ ISO 200. DxO reports 12.31 stops of DR for this sensor/ISO. I used an ISO 12233 chart.

I shot with a 18-105mm lens @ 35mm f/5.6, with exposures ranging from 5-seconds to 1/1600 seconds (14 stops). I would have liked to had better light to avoid long-exposures but couldn't arrange it. Long-exposure NR was on. Lighting was a non-so-great kitchen fluorescent with a LR3-measured WB of 3400 +26. All photos have been set to that WB in LR and there is some color shift for the faster shutter speeds as a result. Admittedly the lighting for the experiment is very far from ideal.

All photos shot RAW on tripod with timer release and delayed exposure, processed in LR3 with default settings (Adobe Standard 2010, NR: Chrominance +25, Luminance +00). I pushed the exposures in LR starting at the 1/6 photo (6th photo) by one stop and increasing by one additional stop thereafter. Focus was manual and locked for all shots.

Stops 1-6: (f 5 seconds through f 1/6)

Stops 7-12: (f 1/13 seconds through f 1/400)

Stops 13-14: (f 1/800 seconds through f 1/1600)

-- hide signature --

Kodak Instant Camera
Kyocera 1MP Camera phone (pre-paid phone plan)
http://horshack.smugmug.com/

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow