Moving from film to digital SLR

Started Oct 10, 2010 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,740
Re: S0ome advatages of film and pitfalls of digital

There is definitely a learning curve and adjustment period that is needed when going from being a long-time film SLR shooter to a digital SLR shooter.

I actually had an Elan IIe in the film days (same as the OP's EOS 50, except it's the US version, with Eye Control Focus). It was a fantastic camera. One of my all time favorites. It had nice, physical nobs and dials and switches which gave its handling a more retro feel.

But having said that, and in spite of the considerable learning curve that digital shooting (and image processing) entails, I don't miss carrying around ziplock bags full of film, at various ISO speeds, color and black-n-white. I wouldn't mind having the Elan IIe replicated, but with digital internals (ie, a digital sensor, etc), though. I'm still nostalgic for that camera body.

Christoph Stephan wrote:

When you are moving from film to digital you should consider these issues in favour of film which might not have been mentioned so far.

At several occassions (my Namibia holiday one of the latest, you can see the digital shots in my gallery) I used both my digital Canon EOS 20D and my film EOS 300. Fuji Sensia slide film really was better in colour saturation and warm colour cast compared to the digital jpgs. I also did some RAW pictures and they were no great improvement, but I have to admit, that contrary to others here, I have no great experience in raw processing.

Now I have upgraded to the EOS 40D and it can be set to higher colour saturation (+4 instead of +2) The reds of tulips hovewer, are still flat and do not come out as nicely as with slide film. However, apart from this, most shots are now on par with slide film. As as mentioned previously, resolution and sharpness is better with digital (depending on the lenses).

When you move to digital, you may be shocked by the weight of the cameras and the tiny viewfinders. In this regard, my EOS 300 really is a 5d Mk II with the size and weight of a Rebel. The nicer the finder gets (5d MkII, 7D) the bigger and more expensive the camera is. (You should also consider the Pentax KR-5, a lovely combination of big finder and low weight , in particular as your lenses are nothing to write home about apart from the 17-40 - sorry).

However, now I am quite happy with my 40D, some of my feelings may be a bit nostalgia.
--
Chris
-----
http://christopher363.redbubble.com
and gallery here
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3901003461/albums

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow