MOV to AVI file conversion

Started May 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
podman32 Regular Member • Posts: 105
Just need to install the correct codec

ClaudiaInIowa wrote:

I have just returned from a trip to the Galapagos and have several video clips that I took on my SX10. I would like to use the Movie Maker with Media Player in Vista to make a slide show using pictures and videos from this trip. Can someone recommend a good software to convert these files.. or perhaps some other software to do that same thing that I could purchase if there isn't a way to do this. I have Photoshop Elements, but can't seem to figure out how to do this with that software either. Am thinking that it is the MOV files that only seem to play in quicktime. Our expedition leader did make a CD for everyone of the trip that has pictures and video and he said he used the software that came with Vista. He must not have been using a camera that had MOV files. Thanks for any help.
--

This comes up all the time. I have an SX10 and Windows Vista and I use Movie Maker and Media Player to edit and view the videos. All that you need is to install the missing codec so that Movie Maker and Media Player can work with the SX10 movie files. I think Windows 7 even has the codec built in because my brother's PC which has Windows 7 was able to work with my SX10 videos right out of the box.

It has been a while, but do a search for Vista Codec Package or Vista codec. The one I used was Shark007's free codec solutions.

IMPORTANT - At first after installing the codec pack, the videos would play, but I didn't get any sound. To get the sound to work, you have to run the Setting Application that comes with the Codec pack, select the MOV tab, then under playback select "Set MOV to use Haali's splitter". After that you should be good to go.

With the codec installed, all your Vista applications like Movie Maker, Media Player etc. will recognize and work with the SX10 videos. Even the Windows Explorer will display a video frame from the movie clip when you view the icons in Explorer.

-Chris

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow