A single prime as walkaround?

Started Oct 13, 2010 | Discussions thread
David Strachan
David Strachan Senior Member • Posts: 1,326
Re: A single prime as walkaround; thats what was used.

The first 140 years of photography was all with primes. Those marvellous decisive moments, millions captured, particularly with 50mm lenses on 35mm film. All street photography was with primes until the first zoom lens was invented...the Zoomar by Voigtlander (1959 36-82/2.8 ).

A priime needs visualisation framing. The way I do it is to look through the viewfinder and note the edges of the image. By extending my arms I define the frame width. Easy to use rather than looking through the viewfinder for composition every time. Some people use a black card with a rectangle hole cut ithrough it, and held a short distance from the eye. Soon one just sees the framing with a bit of practice anyway.

It is a discipline and great fun just using a small lightweight prime. They are often beautifully engineered and feel nice to use. The optics can be immaculate, and old lenses in the back of the cupboard can be enjoyed.

cheers Dave S

David Strachan's gear list:David Strachan's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Leica V-Lux 4 Leica M8 Canon EOS 60D Fujifilm X-E1 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow