A quick trip to Yosemite

Started Oct 9, 2010 | Discussions thread
OP Tony Beach Veteran Member • Posts: 9,945
Re: It was a great trip!

Dave_Anderson wrote:

Yes, often it is the last or near-last shot, though I often try to push the envelope and shoot past the ideal time, especially with sunsets. On my last Mount Tam trip, the Ranger was kind of tapping his foot at the gate waiting for me to pack up and leave - it was full dark by then.

Yeah, me too. What I meant was the last shot you keep, and I was being just a little facetious when I said it. Sometimes, it's the first shot, but we never know enough to just turn around and go home after getting the one winner of the day.

...I'd like to go back when there is more going on in the sky, though that's a bigger gamble.

Yeah, it's high stakes photography. Lower stakes for us being 4 hours or so away then it is for people coming from further away (especially from other countries); but still a not insignificant investment of time and money, and coming away with nothing memorable would be a bummer.

We should organize a carload of photographers late next Spring, or even a small caravan. Hey, I got that annual pass, that'll pay the entrance into the park for one non-commercial vehicle full of photographers and gear.

Intriguing idea, my biggest concern would be setting the right expectation.

That's easy, no expectations and every person for themselves. Get there, and use the Shuttles and/or your feet to go where you want, and then all meet back at the vehicle an hour or so after dark.

I think something along the lines of sharing rental fees for an RV plus the cost of campground/camp meals could get us into the few hundred $/person range, depending on how many photogs would be willing to rough it a bit. I think RVs like the one we got stuck behind on the grade run around $1500 for the weekend.

Craig had some good suggestions below about that. I think you are right about planning well ahead for something like that. By spreading the timeframe out to a few days it increases the chances of getting better skies and such, and going in late Spring insures that the waterfalls would be going strong.

We should discuss offline,

We will.

such an endeavor would take a LOT of advance planning.

Yep, in the meantime we just need to get up there as often as practical and start soaking the valley and its surrounding in.

Tony Beach's gear list:Tony Beach's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow