WARNING: Windows Live Essentials 2011

Started Oct 3, 2010 | Discussions thread
OP (unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,338
Re: WARNING: Windows Live Essentials 2011

AxelR wrote:

If you are using the EXIF-based Auto-Rotating JPEG codec that is part of my own FastPictureViewer Codec Pack, make sure to download the most current version (2.4.0.7) which should handle WLPG 2011 better.

I was running 2.4.0.3 but I have now installed 2.4.0.7 which does appear to solve the problem nicely. That's cool, thank you!

However, I am still troubled by this exercise. With the 2.4.0.3 codec, there was significant degradation of the image. As mentioned before there was a huge reduction in file size. I have also compared the before and after versions in Photoshop by stacking the images, using a difference blend, and pumping the levels. The difference is not inconsequential. I also compared the two images more objectively using JPEGSnoop which also suggests a significant loss of information.

Note with the 2.4.0.3 codec there was significant additional compression despite the fact that WLPG was configured with a default JPEG save quality of 100%.

The fact remains that had I not discovered this issue early on, a substantial proportion of my valuable image collection would have been subjected to significant compression. That would have made me pretty upset. The good news is that I did become aware of the issue and immediately restore my image collection from backup.

Having said that, I am also somewhat relieved to have a logical explanation for what happened. Furthermore that theory seems to be supported by my short experiment with 2.4.0.7 codec pack. So, thank you very much indeed Axel for bring a whole lot of illumination to these shadows. It is greatly appreciated.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow