Reaffirming some long held belief's that were

Started Oct 2, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 20,708
Reaffirming some long held belief's that were

Hello all...

Hope all of you are doing well! I just had to chime in here and reflect on some thoughts of mine from the past few days.

As a matter of background information, I've not been posting much lately - in fact, over the past 6 - 8 months I've been virtually absent for the most part - save perhaps, for the occasional posting. Other hobbies and commitments have temporarily kept me from focusing on any photographic forums at all (actually, this can periodically be good for one's mental health).

When I did manage to post - in particular, when the E-5 was released - I chimed in with the typical, "I'm disappointed with the E-5," or "No more Olympus gear for me," montra's. However, experiences over the past week have caused me to again reaffirm my admiration and commitment to Olympus....read on.

I shoot with a variety of systems, but recently I sold off more than 80% of my camera collection - mainly, because I'm getting older and wasn't using much of the gear. Having it just sit there (other than to admire the engineering) does the camera (and me) no good - so I sold off many of them. I did keep the E-1, E-3, E-30, E-620, E-330, EP-2, Panasonic GF-1, GH-1, Canon G11, S90, and Nikon D5000 and P6000 - so I'm not hurting in the camera department (and considering at one point I managed to amass up to 81 digital cameras...sigh).

Over the past week I was asked (as a favor) to shoot several scenarios - all of which I elected to cover with the E-3 and E-30. After transferring the over 700 images to my PC, I was taken aback at the unique look to the E-3 images (the E-30 were gorgeous also) - a rich color tonality that to this day still eludes many a camera (regardless of brand). But it was not only the richness of the colors, but rather the almost 3D clarity that they had - something often missing when I shoot with my "other" gear. These images had a palpable, "you are there" feel to them, as you could look into the scenes and seemingly experience them vicariously. Of course, I've been a consistent staunch supporter of Olympus and over the past 8+ years or so I've often attempted to describe the "intangible" qualities of Olympus images (unfortunately, trying to describe a unique intangible is often difficult to do). Unfortunately, over the last year (thanks to diversions) I've temporarily diverted from that philosophy.

So what I'm getting at here is that yes, I still admire the other brands (all brands bring something nice to the table) - and yes, I plan on getting the D7000 and P7000 eventually - but I cannot ignore the fact that Olympus imaging is so very unique. And to try to describe or compare Olympus characteristics with other gear in mere tangible terms - i.e. MP count, high ISO scenarios, AF speed, etc., does the brand little justice. It is only when you compare well-taken images that you realize that Olympus need make no apologies at all. When an image can "move" and "stir" viewers, then that's what it's all about! And to this date, the original E-1 never fails to amaze with the uniqueness of its images.

So, eventually - perhaps in the Spring I suppose - I "will" wind up getting the E-5 as part of my now limited collection. I cannot ignore the magic that was the E-1 and the E-3, and I believe the E-5 will continue on the same path, if not more so. About the only caveat I have with the E-5 is that it has the same footprint, appearance and size of the E-3. Why Olympus elected to move away from the gorgeous design of the E-1 is beyond me as that set many standards as far as I'm concerned. But then beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I can only speak for myself.

So to summarize - I was mistaken about my initial disparaging remarks about the E-5 (meaning, I wanted more MP's, etc.). I know the E-5 will perform exceptionally well. Will it sell in huge numbers like the likes of the D7000? Hell no - and I don't think it was intended to do so either. But what it will do is to continue to set standards for IQ in a way that few can compare. And again - I'm not comparing 12 MP with 16 or 18 MP here. I'm talking about the effect that a well-taken image can have on a viewer. In that regard, Olympus will continue to lead!

OK - enough of my rambling...everyone enjoy the weekend!

-- hide signature --

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X30 Olympus E-330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +19 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
cnb
tex
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow