Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited Review

Started Sep 26, 2010 | Discussions thread
eric_k10d Regular Member • Posts: 285
Re: Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited Review

moving_comfort wrote:

viking79 wrote:

eric_k10d wrote:

A very nice review of an excellent lens, Eric. The question for me is, is it worth it at almost three times the price compared to the Canon 85mm f1.8? Sure, it's about half the size and is a more beautiful design, but the Canon lens has better performance wide open and much faster (and silent) autofocus. I guess it depends what you value most and what you will use the lens for.

There are other differences too. The FA 77mm has 9 aperture blades that produce circular highlights in the bokeh at most f/stops. It is also more compact. The FA 77mm also has a closer minimum focus distance.

It would also be nice to compare the lenses on an actual image, side by side. The FA 77 was not designed for testing good on charts.

I do think the Canon is a better value, but don't think it is a better lens. Someone with a modified 5d should compare them side by side

Can't speak to Canon, but I've compared it side-side with my Nikon 85 1.8D, and the 77 is a tad sharper with better bokeh. But it's more than that - the 77ltd just has a better tonality gradient, maybe better color, better OOF transition. Using terms like magic and pop vex people (maybe rightly so,) but the if Nikon 85 1.8D's 'pixie-dust' score is 85, the 77ltd's is 99.

Now for some worthless subjectivity:

(snip)

Very nice pictures as always! But as you say, I have a hard time relating to comments about "pixie dust" and similar things. A side-by-side comparison, either with both lenses on the same 5D body, or just with separate bodies, would be great to see. In similar comparisons between manual focus 85mm lenses, I've had a really hard time seeing any "field-relevant" differences between them.

Your comment about the 77mm being slightly sharper is interesting, though, since the Nikon is generally considered sharper than the Canon from what I've been able to see.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow