What products would you launch if you were Canon?

Started Sep 15, 2010 | Discussions thread
photog7320 Senior Member • Posts: 2,423
Re: Nikon has really...

fyngyrz wrote:

But I can buy the D7000 and a decent lens (or two) for it for less than the 7D,

$300 is not going to get you much in terms of glass.

and get features that are more useful to me than the (IMHO) really poor set of changes the 7D offers over my 50D.

You're not making sense. The 7D and the D7000 out perform the 50D in the same areas. If the 7D has a "poor set" of changes over the 50D, then so does the D7000.

Quite frankly if you think the changes in the 7D are poor vs the 50D, you haven't been paying attention to the 7D's reviews and you certainly have not used a 7D.

I'll still have my 50D and Canon lenses, and I'll have this sweet Nikon which extends my ability to work in darker regimes,

I seriously doubt there's any great gain in high ISO with the D7000 vs the 7D. I could be wrong. We will know when the full reviews are out. (In some other threads it's being said that the D7000 is about 1 stop behind the D700 at high ISO. That's about where I would judge the 7D to be.)

adds movies with tracking AF,

If it's fast enough to be usable.

and probably focuses better to boot.

Than your 50D? In situations that call for more points (i.e. BiF), yes. Otherwise, debatable. And not better than the 7D.

It'll all come down to how well the D7000 actually takes pictures, but I'm thinking it's likely to do just fine, and that is going to cause Canon some real problems.

It's going to cause Canon to be more aggressive in their next update. Which is good for everyone.

They could make a great camera if they stop trying to jam in more MP and concentrate on higher quality pixels instead. Outside the line, they could come with a low-light specialized camera and I'd be interested. But the current APS-C lineup... 60D, 7D... no thank you.

Here we go with this fallacy again...

• The D7000 packs about as many pixels on APS-C as the 7D and 60D. So if you don't like what Canon did there, you better stay far away from the D7000.

• Pixel size is not the primary factor in high ISO because smaller pixels are magnified less when printed. Total sensor surface area is, followed by technology level. Going backwards in MP would cost us resolution but would not give us better high ISO.

• At release the 7D offered the highest IQ, including the highest resolution and best high ISO, in the APS-C class. I'm curious to see if the Nikon 16 MP sensor edges it out in high ISO (it is one year newer), but I doubt there are any leaps here.

You're ripping on the 7D and praising the D7000 yet they are very similar cameras. I will certainly give credit to Nikon for packing so many features in at that price point. I have no doubt the D7000 is an excellent body that will sell like hot cakes. But you act s if the 7D brings nothing to the table and that's simply false.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
RR6
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow