Manual vs. TTL, yet another flash question

Started Sep 11, 2010 | Discussions thread
Iusefilm Senior Member • Posts: 1,143
The same applies to incident vs. reflected light metering...

Hi,

The first step is to take out the Auto exposure from the equation. Now that the camera is in manual exposure mode, the shutter speed will determine the ambient exposure. (since you have decided on the f stop and ISO) The flash exposure now only effect your subject exposure. Good, bad or indifferent. And that is dependant on the distance to subject and/or power setting on the flash.

As soon as this dynamics are at work, you are dealing with a confused light sensor... in TTL or not so much in i-TTL the reflective surface will greatly effect your subject exposure... in manual you are determining the light value falling on the subject and make the decision of how satisfactory it is to retain detail across the brightness variations of your subject.

Go back to Auto exposure, Matrix metering and + - compensation and you have one hell of a learning curve ahead of you, which is a lot of fun as well. Just do not give it a go during a wedding, where you usually dealing with two extremes of a possible reflective surfaces...

Whatever your camera system... you have to learn how all these do-das work for you in actual environments and subjects. And make a decision of how and what futures you feel comfortable in all circumstances.

Interestingly, no matter how much I learn or do, Matrix metering in full Auto mode gives me head aches with I- TTL Vs. Mr. MacNally's very extensive experience with it and tutoring.
--
Tony K

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow