My own LX5 Sample Photos and S90 Comparison

Started Sep 8, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
eidetic_photog Regular Member • Posts: 103
My own LX5 Sample Photos and S90 Comparison

There has been so much talk and so many mixed reviews on the new LX5 that I decided to take a few test photos for myself.

First of all, I am far from a professional photographer, and I am not claiming to be an expert on any of this. All I tried to do was to take many similar photos with my new LX5 and with my wife's S90 changing only one variable at a time.

I gathered items of different colors, textures, etc. from around the house and placed them on a side table. I set up a tripod at a distance where I could more or less fill the frame of the LX5 with the zoom set at 50mm. I then tried a full auto shot. My next shots were all in Aperture priority mode so that I could change ISO only. I also decided to try different settings for noise reduction and sharpening and combinations of both, but I only tried these photos at ISO 400.

I then repeated the tests with my wife's S90. From what I have read, the IQ of the S90 should be the same as the S95 if the sensor is truly the same. I am not sure if this is true, but I still thought that it would be interesting to compare the LX5 and S90. I am not very familiar with her camera (she is very reluctant to let me use it), and I could not find a way to set the zoom at 50mm so I had to guess. Subsequently, all of the S90 shots turned out to be at 45mm. I only tried one shot on Auto and one shot at ISOs 100, 400, 800 and 1600 for comparison.

My conclusions:
1) The LX5 was better overall at all ISOs.

2) To my eyes, the LX5 was sharper throughout the image than the S90 at all ISOs.

3) The LX5 colors were much more true to life than the S90 in all photos (you will have to take my word on this one.)

4) The only place that the S90 seems to have an advantage is with chroma noise at high ISOs, yet the overall colors of the LX5 are better at these high ISOs.

5) The LX5 noise reduction and sharpening settings produce fairly subtle differences. I honestly think that NR -1 and S +1 is probably all I would use on JPEGs.

My only other observation is that I think that both cameras are fantastic. I love how small the S90 is, and I am a huge fan of the front control ring. If anything, the S90 seems too small to me especially since it does not have a built in grip. The LX5 feels surprisingly small in my hand, too, yet I love the way that it handles. I cannot wait to put it to more use.

Again, these are just my opinions, and I am by no means an expert. However, I can sleep better now having seen for myself how impressive the LX5 can be.

All of the full size photos can be found in my gallery in the link below.

http://forums.dpreview.com/galleries/170811419/albums/lx5-and-s90-quick-comparison

eidetic_photog's gear list:eidetic_photog's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow