LX5 vs Canon S95 - noise & noise reduction

Started Sep 3, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gregory WAP New Member • Posts: 12
LX5 vs Canon S95 - noise & noise reduction

I have spent the last few days looking for reviews that show sample images for the LX5 and the Canon S95. Much to my dismay I have come to the conclusion that the S95 kills the LX5. The jpegs from 100 iso to 3200 iso from LX5 are full of noise reduction artifacts, obviously worse at the the higher isos. The canon has noise but way less noise reduction artifacts. When i look at raw images from the LX5 I see why so much noise reduction is applied. Yuck! Total bummer. I wanted this camera as my point and shoot as I like the 24mm lens and the build quality, but when I see that the the S95 is head and shoulders above the LX5, it's a no brainer. So now I get the HDR capability of the S95 and it's ability to shoot 720p at 24fps in stereo as well. I bet that when DP gets around to doing the comparison they will reach the same conclusion.

This guy did a pretty good job showing the difference.

http://www.digitalrev.com/en/panasonic-lumix-lx5-vs-canon-powershot-s95-6558-article.html

But you can see the noise reduction artifacts in the group shot iso 1600 on the pics DP shot at the launch.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MMH
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow