Considering ditching Canon (after 30 years) ... getting left behind

Started Aug 28, 2010 | Discussions thread
ElFenix Regular Member • Posts: 333
Re: Considering ditching Canon (after 30 years) ... getting left behind

mrsfixit wrote:

You know, I agree with what you said.

I don't want and interchangeable lens camera. Been there, done that, and I'm through lugging around a camera and bag full of lenses. However, like you I won't buy a camera with a single focal length lens, it's much too limiting.

I think that's why so many people are complaining here. We expected Canon to come out with something that would rival the Pro 1, with a larger sensor than 1/1.7.

I have the G11, and I just got a lemon because mine sucks, period. It's not defective to the point where I could send it back to Canon to be fixed, it's just defective enough that the image quality isn't anywhere near as good as my A650. I was hoping I could trade it in for a G12. But since the G12 is just a G11 with a little makeup on to hide the flaws, that's not going to work.

I think people are discussing the NEXand mFT cameras because they're small, and could be an alternative to an overpriced P&S like the G12. But with the kit zooms, they're still bulky, certainly not pocketable, probably not purseable either- although the PEN's seems to have the smallest kit lens.

I've come to the conclusion that no matter how much money you spend, and no matter what camera you buy- it has it's flaws and you have to compromise. How much you're willing to compromise is another matter...

Candice in PA

fwiw, the pro1 wasn't exactly pocketable. problem with cameras the size and cost of an SLR (2 SLRs now) is that you might as well get an SLR. yeah, the pro1 had a nice lens but it won't take pictures in the dark (which is all anyone wants to do anymore, based on the whining).

even the lx3 is a bit too big to be truly pocketable. cargo shorts or windbreaker pocket, yes. pants or suit pocket, it's a tight squeeze. that's why there's no grip on the S90, afaik.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MMH
MMH
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow