New lenses photos and info at NikonRumors

Started Aug 13, 2010 | Discussions thread
msolea Senior Member • Posts: 1,151
Re: New lenses photos and info at NikonRumors

Of this set of announcements, only the 85mm f/1.4 AFS interests me. But, I already have the AF-D version. So, unless Nikon has pulled out all the stops like they did for the 24mm f/1.4, I do not see myself even considering an upgrade at this time.

But, if this lens keeps the magic of the 85mm f/1.4 and improves upon them, then I might consider it. VR would be nice, but not at the expense of other characteristics and Image Quality and the use of 77mm filters.

(The one mock up of the 85mm f/1.4 AFS VR lens I saw gave the lens a bulbous front element like the 14-24mm with a built-in hood and no way to use filters. So, if this is the reason why Nikon did not go VR, it is a very good call in my humble opinion.)

Otherwise, the only reason I might end up getting the 85mm f/1.4 is if they do release a cheaper FX camera that does not support AF and is cheep enough to offset the cost difference of the 85mm AF-D and AF-S lenses while sacrificing little from the specs of the D700. Given the age of the D700, I would say they only thing they would sacrifice is the all metal chassis.

msolea's gear list:msolea's gear list
Sony RX100 III
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow