New lenses photos and info at NikonRumors

Started Aug 13, 2010 | Discussions thread
jhinkey
jhinkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,802
Re: New lenses photos and info at NikonRumors

mogando668 wrote:

The 28-300FX i can understand - it's the one solution for all in the FX world (equiv 18-200)

but i never get the appeal of the 24-120/4 FX, either in Canon or Nikon. F/4 is not that fast, bokeh must be so-so, it's not that much different from a variable aperture one (3.5-5.6), and you pay a freaking high premium for it.

I always thought people who are willing to shell out the huge premium for FX are mostly prosumers or pros, who definitely value primes or f/2.8 zooms. F/4 in such short focal lengths is really no-man's land. (and esp with automated metering and semi-auto modes, constant aperture doesn't offer much compared to the film days anymore)

24-120 - Perfect walk-around focal length for a zoom. Would serve the same function as my 16-85AFS on my D300 which is my most used lens by far. Certainly will get one once I go to a full frame sensored body.

• John

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +21 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow