System Camera Sales FY 2007-2010

Started Aug 8, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
winedarksea Senior Member • Posts: 1,654
System Camera Sales FY 2007-2010

Below is a chart developed from information that Cheng Bao cited on a DPR thread two days ago. In a couple of years of searching, these numbers represent the most definitive information about the worldwide dslr/system camera market I have found. Moreover, it conforms roughly to charts posted last year on a Swedish site, which showed the dslr market at over nine million units in calendar year 2008, Nikon as having almost overtaken Canon between 2006 & 2008, & Sony as having reached 13% market share in 2008. (Please note: that was in calendar years, whereas the chart below is in fiscal years ending March 31. The closest thing to calendar year 2009 is FY 2010.)

The first thing to note is that the dslr/system camera market increased by 81% worldwide from FY2007 to FY2010, and increased substantially in every single one of the successive years. In spite of a massive depression, this market segment has been rapidly growing.

Furthermore, please note that Sony, except in FY2008, has been in a strong third position, ending in FY2010 with almost as much of the market as all of the rest of the non-Canikon companies combined--in spite of the presence of the M4/3 cameras on the market. And please recognize that Sony increased its market share in FY2010 over FY 2009--selling 200,000 more cameras. That has to mean that those much-maligned A2xx/3xx/5xx cameras did very well, in spite of all predictions.

The only brands that increased market share in this period were Olympus, Panasonic, & Sony. (It is probable, based on Japanese numbers, that Samsung has already increased market share in this new fiscal year, but at very low absolute numbers. Sony meanwhile has very likely dramatically increased its worldwide market share this summer.)

This 10% market share worldwide, by the way, is exactly what Toru Katsumoto said it was in his December interview, so that lends credence to his other numbers.

In any case, many discussions revolve around issues of Sony's success or failure in the marketplace. This doesn't give us camera by camera facts, but the closest thing to it I have seen.

Based on these numbers, I would say that Pentax is in the most trouble, having lost 44% of its market share from FY2007 to FY2010, while selling the same number of units, 300,000. Carl says they have some strong new cameras coming. They sure need them. The BCN numbers for the first six months of calendar year 2010, by the way, show the same Pentax slide, down into a deep hole in last place anong the top six companies. All this in spite of the claimed huge success of the K-x.

And please note that Sony's gain in units sold, between FY2008 & FY2010 was 600,000 cameras--more than Nikon's gain of 580,000. This at a time when Sony wasn't fully cranked up, as I believe it is now. Nikon has to do better than that if it wants to stay ahead. Remember that David Kilpatrick says that Nikon is in trouble, that its Coolpix division has been doing terribly, & heads have rolled.

I worked out the market share number from the absolute numbers, and could have made mistakes, so I would appreciate it if everyone would check it out.

-- hide signature --

Dulaney
A700; SAL 50 f1.4; SAL 18-250; CZ 85 f1.4

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJL
BJL
BJL
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow