Color Space - sRGB or Adobe RGB

Started Jul 23, 2010 | Discussions thread
John King
John King Forum Pro • Posts: 14,941
Re: Color Space - sRGB or Adobe RGB

Gidday Jimmy

Jimmy Lai wrote:

Color Space – sRGB or Adobe RGB – which do you prefer? And Why? sRGB seems to be the default setting on all the cameras.

The colour space is irrelevant if you are shooting RAW. JPEGs have a colour profile, as do TIFFs; RAW files have no colour space (or WB ... ) until one is assigned in processing the RAW into an image file.

I shoot aRGB because the sRGB is deficient in the green part of the spectrum (for my OoC JPEGs). Any that get uploaded to the web get converted to sRGB ...

For RAWs, I process these into ProPhotoRGB (or ROMM RGB), 16 bit colour space, then PP in PSD-16.

The colours in the final print are quite amazingly better, with richer tonal depth and nuances of tone than either JPEGs or even PP using an 8 bit colour space, even when lossless (e.g. TIFF-8, PSD-8).

I use a 19" calibrated Philips CRT monitor, and I am yet to see a panel monitor that's as good ... Printers use sRGB, 8 bit, CMYK. I use paper-specific ICC profiles within PS, and let PS manage the colour conversion from ProPhotoRGB to sRGB, RGB to CMYK and 16 bit to 8 bit. I reckon that PS will do this better than the printer driver can (it does ... ).

BTW, ProPhotoRGB-16 is capable of handling a colour space (gamut) that is far greater than the human eye can see. aRGB is nearly as great as the human eye. sRGB doesn't come close, but still better than some others still in use ...

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
(see profile for current gear)
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --

The Camera doth not make the Man (or Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...

Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/main.php

Bird Control Officers on active service.

Member of UK (and abroad) Photo Safari Group

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow