Another convert from Sony...

Started Jul 20, 2010 | Discussions thread
David McGaughey Senior Member • Posts: 2,246
I understand

I do believe the A850 and A900 are excellent bodies, with fabulous low-iso image quality, good enough high iso quality, and well-featured bodies (if you don't want video). The A700, is very long in the tooth, though. I was toying with switching from Canon to Sony, but I refrained for the opposite reason: the lenses.

The great thing about the Canon and Nikon systems is they have, by far, the most complete lens lineup. If you want it, it probably exists and is still in production. In contrast, the Sony lens lineup is very mediocre. This is only partially rectified by the Minolta lens back-catalog.

If you only need a 24-70, 70-200, and a random prime or two, then the Sony system is great. Otherwise, eh. In my case I wanted 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 100 or 135mm fast (and not super-bulky) primes. Sony only makes ONE of those right now. It wouldn't be hard to get a Minolta 24mm f/2.8 lens, but the other two would be a huge and expensive pain. Used Minolta 35mm f/2 RS lenses cost almost as much as the Canon 35mm f/1.4 L! Used Minolta 100mm f/2 lenses are 2-3x as much as the Canon 100mm f/2!

It's going to take years for Sony to make a complete system. There's no guarantee Sony will get tired of this business, give up, and invest their energy in the NEX system. It's not encouraging to see how slowly they are updating their "premier" bodies and introducing new lenses.

Have fun with your new kit. I imagine you'll be pleased with the huge variety of in-production lenses at your disposal.

Also, pandalee is a well-known Canon-hater.

Darrell52 wrote:

Today I ordered a Canon 5D Mk II and 24-105 kit from Henry's and my switch from Sony has begun. As I divest myself of my Sony gear, I hope to add a number of other Canon "L" zooms and possibly a prime or two. I just got tired of waiting for Sony to introduce its enthusiast and above level cameras. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I learn more about the Canon offerings and am anxious to post my first 5D photo. Hopefully my new kit will be here by the weekend. Wish me luck.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow