Can you recommend a tripod with a vertical post that can be swung out horizontally?

Started Jul 18, 2010 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Stefan Carey
Stefan Carey OP Contributing Member • Posts: 811
Re: Can you recommend a tripod with a vertical post that can be swung out horizontall

Thanks Fred, another really interesting suggestion, probably now more for the benefit of others, as you may have missed it but i bought a used one last night. What shame the stores I looked at did not have yours and all the other excellent suggestions to look at.

cheers and thanks again

doak wrote:

Hi Stefan,

As another posted the Benro carbon flexpod w/ the twist locking mechanism is quite nice and not to expensive (as far as nice carbon pods go). I'm 6'1" tall and the C-298M8 is high enough. Also when I was shopping I lucked into a used Gitzo offcenter head. When going horizontal for closeup work the offcenter head provides lots more positioning flexibility. The ball itself is smaller so maybe not quite as smooth as a head with a larger ball. Regardless I can adjust the friction such that I can reposition my K7, flash & 55-300 w/ raynox and it'll then hold it in place.

Another head that looks interesting are the Manfroto joysticks--really easy to lock/unlock.

-- hide signature --

'Art is not for the cultivated taste. It is to cultivate taste.' (Nikki Giovanni)

Stefan Carey's gear list:Stefan Carey's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-2
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow