K-7: EV bar not showing +/- 5 EV stops

Started Jul 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
arnelie
arnelie Regular Member • Posts: 396
K-7: EV bar not showing +/- 5 EV stops

I have now enjoyed my K-7 since 20th June this year. What an upgrade since my film based Z1-p, and my wifes K100D! I have some issues though that I cannot quite settle with, here is one:

When working in manual exposure mode (M), the EV bar graphis crusial. The manual states it supports +/- 5 EV stops. How can this be true? This is my findings

• The status screen (back LCD monitor) always shows +/-5EV, so far so good. However, the screen can only be read by holding the camera in some distance, causing the metering to suffer from light entering the light sensor via the viewfinder. Activating the LV seems to fix this, or covering the viewfinder with a finger

• The top LCD screen shows +/- 3 EV stops when the K-7 is configured with 1/2 EV stops, and +/- 2 EV stops when in 1/3 EV stop mode. But again, the reading of this screen suffers the same metering error as the back monitor.

• The viewfinder EV bar, this is the one I want to use! But it has the same limitations as the top LCD: +/- 3 EV stops when the K-7 is configured with 1/2 EV stops, and +/- 2 EV stops when in 1/3 EV stop mode. When the camera is in P-mode e.g. and EV correction is activated, the right part of the videfinder info line is used to extend the EV bar with a number giving effective +/- 5 EV stops, but in M-mode this part is used for displaying the ISO!

Anyone having found a "solution" to this limitation? Why does the manual not mention these limitations?

/ Arne

arnelie's gear list:arnelie's gear list
Ricoh GR II Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow