'Compact' happiness at last!

Started Jul 17, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
daveproctor Regular Member • Posts: 313
'Compact' happiness at last!

My main camera outfit is a Canon 5D MkII and several lenses but as with most DSLR's it is a bit of a monster to carry around.

I have tried Micro Four Thirds and the Samsung NX system neither of which suited me for a variety of reasons, and I've given up trying to count the number of 'high-end' compacts that I have bought, none of which gave IQ even approaching an entry level DSLR

Yesterday, almost out of desperation, I bought an NEX 5 twin lens kit from Digitaldepot for what seemed a very reasonable price and I do believe I have now found the Holy Grail I have been seeking.

The camera is beautifully designed and much smaller than any of the MFT cameras I have tried and the two lenses are superbly made. I love the built in features like HDR, sweep panorama and the dinky little flash and best of all the IQ is superb with high ISO which blows away all of the MFT cameras I tried and the NX.

The control system, which seems to come in for a lot of stick, actually works really well after a very short time of getting used to it, it isn't like a DSLR but then it isn't meant to be. The camera works brilliantly as a point and shoot but doesn't compromise on IQ

Thanks Sony for daring to do something completely different, I can now rest happily with two camera systems and enjoy using both of them for different reasons.

If anyone else is seeking the 'ultimate compact' stop looking and buy the Sony - NOW!

daveproctor's gear list:daveproctor's gear list
Nikon Z6
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow