optimum aperature for Canon lenses

Started Jul 8, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
philmar Senior Member • Posts: 2,356
optimum aperature for Canon lenses

I have 3 Canon lenses and am interested in finding out what the optimum aperture is for sharpness.

I know lenses are weakest when wide open and also when stopped down (due to diffraction). I fully understand that aperture has an effect on DOF. But supposing one were not concerned about DOF i.e. when taking shots of a painting or a wall (straight on) and it were guaranteed to fall in to any of the apertures’ DOF.

Is there a website where this has been tested and results chronicled? A handy table?

I own a 24-70 L, a 10-22 EFS and a 70-200 L IS. What are the sweet spot apertures for these?
If it is relevant, I shoot with a cropped sensor 30D.

And YES, I know Google is my friend but it doesn't seem to be liking me today. I've been reading review after review for these individual lenses but no joy.....
--
-----------------
Phil M. - Toronto, Canada

If you have some time to chew on a few of my photos, please go to: http://www.flickriver.com/photos/phil_marion/sets/

philmar's gear list:philmar's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow