Photography at Niagara Falls

Started Jun 29, 2010 | Discussions thread
OP Clem Nichols Contributing Member • Posts: 815
Re: BUtterflies & Gardens

Sounds like more great information. We'll be there three full days, and will try to cram in as much as possible during that time. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Re the butterflies and macros, I'm planning on leaving my 100mm f/2.8 at home, and depending on my wife's Panasonic ZS3 P&S. Although the little camera leaves something to be desired when shooting scenics, I've been very impressed by its macro ability. With the small sensor I can get great DOF shooting hand-held in moderate light situations. A similar picture with the 7D would require shooting at f/16 or so with either flash or a tripod, and even then probably wouldn't achieve the same DOF. And 8.5 x 11 or even 11 x 13 prints actually look quite good. IMO the trick with the Pany is to get close enough to the subject to eliminate most or all of the background which may also be in focus at least enough so as to clutter the picture. Any comments? Again, thanks to all of you who have responded.
--
CN

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow