Photo of International Space Station fly over

Started Jun 25, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TimR32225 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,431
Photo of International Space Station fly over

I've been watching the NASA website for a chance to try to photograph the international space station when it was scheduled to pass close over my location. I was curious if it would be possible to see anything more than a bright dot passing through the night sky.

This evening it was scheduled to pass over pretty close, and only 227 miles above my location, so I mounted my 500mm f4 and 1.4x extender on my 40d, and went outside 5 minutes prior to the scheduled time of appearance. I was surprised that it was very easy to see with the naked eye, so I tried to snap a few photos of it as it flew directly overhead. They look liked dots on the viewfinder, but I was surprised as I zoomed them in that there was a lot of definition showing on the LCD. I opened the raw files at the largest size in photoshop and then uprezzed approximately 6.75 times. The photo is not very clear but I was pleased and a little bit surprised that I was able to even see this much.

The shot is hand held, manual mode, 1/250 at f8, iso 400 on the 40d. I opted to use the 40d instead of my Mk2N for the extra reach. I could probably never get this shot without IS. Check it out....

-- hide signature --
 TimR32225's gear list:TimR32225's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow