Best 'cheap' lenses for 5D MkII?

Started Jun 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
R1chardM New Member • Posts: 12
I would disagree

I would agree at F5.8 or 8 it is as good or better as anything out there. And the fantastic plastic is a great buy at the price, if it holds up, quality is not so good either.

But I don't know about you but I buy lenses for their speed and ability to throw the background out of focus. Even at 2.8 the performance is pretty poor. At 1.8 only the very center of the image is sharp

But as with any lens, if you know the weak spots and the strengths you can get good images out of it. I would recommend the 50 1.8 as far as cheap lenses go, but knowing you need to use f5.6 or 8.

While the 50mm 1.8 maybe an exception, you need to get good lenses to take advanatage of the camera.

mattr wrote:

R1chardM wrote:

You should not put a cheap lens on a 7d or a 5d2 if you want to get all the resoulution they have to offer or take advantage of Full frame.

I totally disagree.

For me one of the biggest delights in digital photography is to zoom to 100% in a shot taken with the 50/1.8 (cheap enough?) at f/5.6 or f/8 with the 5D2 (processed from raw with DPP using Standard picture style)

It simply doesn't get better than this - not at any price point.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Guv
BAK
BAK
(unknown member)
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow