Best 'cheap' lenses for 5D MkII?

Started Jun 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
R1chardM New Member • Posts: 12
Something to think about.

ismith wrote:

Thanks to everybody who has responded to my posting. It has been most useful, and given me a lot to think about.

It made me think about the spec's of the 7D - which offered a lot of things I don't 'really' need - though the larger body, weather seal, CF speed and battery life is a significant compromise. But handling the 550D/T2i you really do notice the quality of the build and its small size, and it is just not something I could live with for long.

Don't get the 550D/T2i for that reason, I would not compromise on this, get what feels right in your hands and you are going to want to use.

But then the price of the 5DII drops by nearly UKP(£)1000 (less than UKP(£)400 more than the 7D), and seriously teases my wallet and excites the 'upgrade' level for me to a point where I can't see a reason to make any further upgrades for years to come (apart from the bits that bolt/screw and clip on to it). But can I get a good lens or two that will offer 'acceptable' IQ to start out with?

This really depends on what you are shooting. If you are shooting portraits and have the room, I prefer a 70-200 2.8, the sigma or Tokina read the reviews. Wide angle some of the others had some good suggestions. You saying you wanted a cheap lens. You should not put a cheap lens on a 7d or a 5d2 if you want to get all the resoulution they have to offer or take advantage of Full frame.

To me is sounds like you have the money. If I were on a budget and had a 5d2, I would choose a sigma 24-70 2.8 and the Tokina 70-200 2.8 (or the sigma if I am shoot sports for the fast focus) and you would have a great setup.

Personally for portrait head shots, I prefer the 85 1.4 from canon over the 50mm which seems to make noses bigger. Again the 70-200 works well for this. Another good portrait lens if you are looking to do macro also is the 100 2.8 macro from canon. Good luck, but don't put kit lenses on those cameras get some decent lenses and you will be happy.

Thanks again.

Ian

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Guv
BAK
BAK
(unknown member)
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow