Best 'cheap' lenses for 5D MkII?

Started Jun 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
OP ismith Contributing Member • Posts: 641
Thank you all.

Thanks to everybody who has responded to my posting. It has been most useful, and given me a lot to think about.

I appreciate the logical and common sense advice about investing in the lenses first, and updating the body later. This is a serious consideration I am not ignoring - in fact, when I first looked into this I though the 7D would be the best way forward with either the 15-85 or 17-55 f2.8 as the walkaround lens, and a 50mm f1.4 for the portraits. And to be honest I would still be going down this road if I hadn't noticed how comparable the IQ of the 550D/T2i was to it - at half the price! It made me think about the spec's of the 7D - which offered a lot of things I don't 'really' need - though the larger body, weather seal, CF speed and battery life is a significant compromise. But handling the 550D/T2i you really do notice the quality of the build and its small size, and it is just not something I could live with for long. But the same IQ at half the price... now I think the 7D is not for me. (Maybe Canon will release a 60D, sitting snugly in the middle, that might just tick all the boxes...)

But then the price of the 5DII drops by nearly UKP(£)1000 (less than UKP(£)400 more than the 7D), and seriously teases my wallet and excites the 'upgrade' level for me to a point where I can't see a reason to make any further upgrades for years to come (apart from the bits that bolt/screw and clip on to it). But can I get a good lens or two that will offer 'acceptable' IQ to start out with? Well, that's the reason for my post - and thanks to some really useful lens suggestion, I can see there are many possible options to consider. I quite fancy going old school and just shooting primes again - my legs still work (touch wood), so 'zooming' can still be achieved.

Thanks again.

Ian

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Guv
BAK
BAK
(unknown member)
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow