Best 'cheap' lenses for 5D MkII?

Started Jun 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
R1chardM New Member • Posts: 12
Sigma 50 1.4 or Canon 50mm 1.4

Both the 50mm 1.4 rate well on a FF camera. I have owned both and like the Sigma better, but it is more expensive. 50mm is a good starter lens, I would not get the fantastic plastic canon 50mm 1.8 for your FF camera, it does not get good to take advanage of the resolution until F4

I agree with the other posters, you should buy a cheap body like an XT line and get some great lenses. If you have to have full frame then buy a used 5d.

There is an old saying, cameras come then go away, good fast glass is here to stay.

You buy pro glass, it will hold its value and will be able to be put on newer cameras. You camera body will take a price dive as soon as the new model is released, then it will become obsolete compared to the new stuff (sure it will still take great pictuers and you will be able to use it for a long time.

But since you bought the great camera, to get everything you can out of it as far as resolution and you want a cheap lens, the 50mm 1.4 will hold its value and be a great lens for this camera. Another great lens for $800 is the Sigma 70-200 2.8, close to Canon quality but at less than half the price and you will be able to get some great images from that lens. Look up both the Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 50mm 1.4 and the Sigma 70-200 2.8 on Dpreviews lens reviews and find out about them.

ismith wrote:

I'm sold on the 5DMkII - but with my initial budget after buying the body I'm left with around UKP(£)250-400. I'm will invest in the best glass I can afford in time, but I hope you might be able to suggest a good lens (or lenses) in this price range to start with? (I can't quite stretch to the kit lens option 24-105L just yet, and I would prefer to buy new).

I'll mainly be shooting urban & rural scenes whilst out and about, and portraits (and video) of my family & friends.

My initial thought was the Canon 50mm 1.8II + 70-300IS.
But is there a good wide/medium zoom in this price bracket to consider?

I look forward to your feedback, and thank you in advance.

Ian

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Guv
BAK
BAK
(unknown member)
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow