Best 'cheap' lenses for 5D MkII?

Started Jun 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
sssanti Contributing Member • Posts: 691
Re: Best 'cheap' lenses for 5D MkII?

I would start with the Tamron 28-75, other good options are 28 1.8, 35 f2, 50 1.4 (Canon or Sigma), 50 1.8, 85 1.8, 100 2 and 70-300 IS depending on your preferences.

For the same EF lens a FF camera typically gives you significantly higher center resolution (line pairs per picture height) than a crop. Border resolution is typically also a little better. In my experience, the improved resolution I observed in my lenses when going from crop to a 5D was more significant than the differences you may see between economical non-L primes and L lenses.

You may want to look at this comparison between FF and crop for a 50 1.8 lens as an example:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/widget/Fullscreen.ashx?reviews=26,27&fullscreen=true&av=1.667,1.667&fl=50,50&vis=VisualiserSharpnessMTF,VisualiserSharpnessMTF&stack=horizontal&lock=&config=/lensreviews/widget/LensReviewConfiguration.xml%3F4

ismith wrote:

I'm sold on the 5DMkII - but with my initial budget after buying the body I'm left with around UKP(£)250-400. I'm will invest in the best glass I can afford in time, but I hope you might be able to suggest a good lens (or lenses) in this price range to start with? (I can't quite stretch to the kit lens option 24-105L just yet, and I would prefer to buy new).

I'll mainly be shooting urban & rural scenes whilst out and about, and portraits (and video) of my family & friends.

My initial thought was the Canon 50mm 1.8II + 70-300IS.
But is there a good wide/medium zoom in this price bracket to consider?

I look forward to your feedback, and thank you in advance.

Ian

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Guv
BAK
BAK
(unknown member)
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow