Best 'cheap' lenses for 5D MkII?

Started Jun 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
OP ismith Contributing Member • Posts: 641
Re: Beginner?

Hi BAK, thank you for your opinion and lens suggestions.

I think your assumption that I am new to this was possibly through my posting history, when I used to hang out in the Fujifilm compact forum as a proud owner of the little F30 (a great pocket cam, and many of my old friends used to hang out there). The truth is I've been in the game about 20 years, shooting with pretty much everything (film & digital as an 'advanced enthusiast'), but after experiencing the 5DMkII (notably with good L glass) I just had to buy one. But with the budget I have available at this time, and the amount of possible lens options on the market, I was curious to hear opinions from this forum's members on options within my budget to consider.

BAK wrote:

For a beginner, the 5D Mark II is a bad idea, unless that beginner is rich.

Then it is still a bad idea, but money can at least ease things a bit.

If you insist on wasting your money, leaving you withnot enough for a good lens, what can we do?

You do not have an adequate budget.

Anyway,start with a Canon 50mm f2 lens and a Canon 50mm f1.8 lens, and save up for a Canon 85mm f1.8.

Or, and this is a good idea if it hits your budget, buy a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 lens.

Your 50mm and 70-300mm plan leaves you with no wde angle, and that is frequently a problem.

BAK

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Guv
BAK
BAK
(unknown member)
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow