Which 70-200?

Started Jun 14, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Cesare Ferrari Regular Member • Posts: 431
Which 70-200?

I'm in the market for a 70-200 zoom to take informal portraits, typically in an outdoor setting. It'll be used on either a 1D Mark II or a 1Ds Mark II. I'm wondering about the f4, f4 IS and f2.8 versions. The f2.8 IS is out of my budget (unless I could find a clean second hand example).

My instinct tells me that the 2.8 version will be too big and bulky to carry around for a couple of hours, and that i'd likely be shooting at f5.6/f8 for the DOF. I'd maybe be better off with the f4 IS version to reduce weight, and increase the hit rate and lower the light I could work in?

My other thought is that since I have various longish primes (85/1.8, 135/2) that in low light I would switch to primes, so really I don't need the IS and I should go with the straight f4 version. I'm happy with my cameras to ISO 800 so I have a few extra stops of light to play with.

Another thought is that really i'd be messing about with an f4 lens, and there will come a time when i'll regret not having f2.8. I'd rather spend the money and get the right lens first time.

So, how do people tend to go for portrait work with a 70-200 zoom? f4 or f2.8? IS or not?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cesare

Cesare Ferrari's gear list:Cesare Ferrari's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow