Lance B, why D700?

Started May 29, 2010 | Discussions thread
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 32,666
Re: Apples and Oranges

JensR wrote:
Hi Brett!

I think it is perfectly sensible to compare apples and oranges.

They are both healthy and tasty fruit with a general spherical shape that grow on trees.

If you are interested in a more detailed comparison, weighing benefits and disadvantages, let me know.

They aren't that close here in Australia;
K-7 AU$1,379
D700 AU$3,629
That's about USD 1,900 (depending which day of the week it is :))

That is indeed interesting!

Well, I didn't pay that much for the D700. It is also irrelevent anyway as it doesn't matter the cost if I can afford it and also that the K-7 doesn't deliver in the way that I want . Yes the k7 delivers to 95%, but I want that extra 5% and am willing to pay, lenses and all. I really do not know what the fuss is all about. There is no doubting that the K7 is probably the best camera out there for the money and teamed with the brillaint lenses that Pentax have, it's almost a no brainer at that price level. But that's not where I'm at.

Ouch.. and that's before you throw in lenses.

You say that as if FF lenses are more expensive.

Which they are not, if you (can) go for equivalent lenses. If you cannot, then you are right.

Well, there is no APS C that is a comparison in IQ or build to the 24-70 f2.8 Nikon lens that delivers the results. This is a true pro grade lens. This is the type of lens that I asked this very forum about, about 12 months ago. I wanted to know if anyone would be interested in a lens of this very calibre but only a few said they would be. Here is my original question:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=32537062

Most poo pooed the idea, which is fine, but I wanted such a lens and teamed with FF in the form of the D700, it works .

You have to understand, these cameras are not on the same shopping list so it's not sensible to spend too much time comparing them... viva la difference.

First: I didn't bring that comparison up.
Second: I still think they are close enough to warrant a comparison.

If not by comparing, how are you going to establish which difference should live (vive)?

If i was shooting a wedding for somebody and needed low light capability and the smartest flash system then it would be the D700 but take it and AFS 24-70 F2.8 + AFS 70-200 F2.8 on a family holiday overseas? Not a chance.. you'd soon tire of lumping it around and wish you'd brought the K-7 with DA17-70 + DA55-300 (or maybe a few Limited primes!)

Interestingly, I shall be going on an overseas holiday and I will be taking the D700 + 24-70 + 70-200 VRII + 1.4x TCand the 16-35 f4.

What a weird comparison.

Why are you pairing the D700 with its fastest zooms and the K7 with some of its slowest?

Cheers
Jens

-- hide signature --
 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SBS
SBS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow