Aperture 3 and Time Machine

Started Apr 13, 2010 | Discussions thread
DiploStrat
DiploStrat Contributing Member • Posts: 791
The Value of the Vault

Scholars may differ, but I consider the Vault to be a bit of an an anachronism. With Aperture 1.0, which antedated Time Machine, the Vault was a real plus. All Aperture libraries were "managed" and Aperture gave you one button back up of everything, including deleted photos.

The came Time Machine and the first release backed up at the package level, not the file level. Ugh. So, the Vault was still the answer.

Then Apple fixed Time Machine and more and more folks started using "referenced" libraries - because they have laptops, iMacs, whatever. At this point, backing up the versions/previews/indices, without the masters, becomes a lot less useful. Better to simply do a comprehensive backup of your whole system. On a Mac, this is stupidly easy with Time Machine, SuperDuper!, and perhaps an Internet service.

In any case, a Vault will only add value if it is on a physically different media. No point in sticking it on a partition of the same drive as Time Machine or a clone - lose one, lose both.

So I would forget vaults and put all of my efforts into Time Machine and a nightly clone.

All the best!
--
DiploStrat

DiploStrat's gear list:DiploStrat's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow