Aperture 3 and Time Machine

Started Apr 13, 2010 | Discussions thread
DiploStrat
DiploStrat Contributing Member • Posts: 791
Don't make it hard

Stan,

You are trying too hard; this is easy. Look at it this way:

-- hide signature --

Aperture speed is dependent on having the Library on the fastest possible drive. On on iMac, that is your internal drive. That drive should have something on the order of 20-30% free space to allow room for work files/scratch files, etc.

-- Your master images do not need to be on a fast drive. Think about it - Aperture reads and writes your previews and versions, but never, ever, does anything but read your masters. Once written, they are never changed again.

-- As an Aperture user, you want all of your images on line, all the time, and you want as much speed as possible.

So do this:

-- Look inside your Aperture Library Package and see how large your Masters folder is. Get an external hard drive that is at least this large. Drives are cheap; get one twice as large to allow for growth. While I would not buy a USB drive for a Mac, this drive does not have to be very fast. You might be able to get a large used USB drive for very little money.

-- Now start Aperture and relocate your masters to this drive. They are now Referenced. You should now have cleaned up a LOT of space on your internal drive, but notice that you have NOT archived anything. All of your images are just as accessible as before. The whole point of Aperture is to make it unnecessary to every archive anything unless you really don't want to look at the images. (In which case you could create a new library for those images. But why bother?)

So now your Mac consists of two drives not one. Easy. (Especially for those of us who grew up with Minicomputers and Mainframes.) At the risk of showing my age, let us name them "System" and "Images." (System contains the operating system, Aperture and all of your other applications and "Images" contains, well images.

Now, think about a back up strategy.

Start with Time Machine. The easiest way is to plug in an single external drive that is large enough to back up both "System" and "Images." Assuming that you want to be able to go back a few months, get a drive that is about 1.5 times as large as both of these drives. Time Machine will now back up your data every hour without you needing to do anything else. Go take some pictures.

The general rule is to have at least two separate media. So, send in the clones. Clones are clones, so you will need one physical drive for "System" and one for "Images" or two partitions. Either one will work. I would set up your system so that your clones update every night automagically.

At this point you are done. Once the dizziness passes:

-- Give some thought to off site backup, either by carrying a disk somewhere or an internet service.

-- Remember that once Time Machine makes a single backup, the only thing extra space gives you is more "time." Do you really need to go back more than say, one month?

-- What about Vaults? There really isn't much need for vaults any more.

-- In the old days, those disks would have been "System" and "Data." In other words, you could put all of your data on that images disk. In this case, however, you will want to use Firewire.

Hope this is helpful, and, of course - offered to the best of my knowledge and belief based on what I do. YMMV!
--
DiploStrat

DiploStrat's gear list:DiploStrat's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow