Auto software distortion correction is bad

Started May 27, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bionet Senior Member • Posts: 1,131
Auto software distortion correction is bad

I wish the article had mentioned the big cons that are currently connected to manufacturers' auto distortion correction.

1. For some odd reason, distortion is not completely corrected and people like me who can't stand even very small amounts of distortion still have to straighten out their images manually.

2. I haven't tried them all, but currently none of the commercial/proprietary raw converters seems to use a proper interpolation algorithm (lanczos, sinc256). They use bicubic which softens the image and can kill fine detail. Lanczos interpolation uses a lot of CPU power so it won't appear in camera firmware very soon either. I wonder if Photoshop has arrived in the 21st century yet and supports it.

I use The GIMP with its sinc256 interpolation to resize and correct distortion, which also works fine for moustache distortion - center and sides are independently adjustable.

So what I think is missing from the article is mentioning that manufacturers are starting to implement transparent correction which then is not even done properly.

Please, manufacturers, leave us alone with such "correction" and/or give us an "off" switch..

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow