replace my 18-55?

Started May 25, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
feraldruid Regular Member • Posts: 438
replace my 18-55?

I have three lenses, and love two of them (I love the 50 f/1.8 and the 55-250, which are both very sharp in my case), but I don't care for my 18-55 lens. I tried another one at a local Wolf Camera and was equally disappointed. Maybe I'm just asking too much of it.

I was particularly disappointed when I looked at photos from my wife's birthday party, where I bounced the 430 flash. She likes them, but when I zoom in, the eyes are soft in every case - is that to be expected?

So ... I'm considering a few alternatives:

1.Canon 15-85. I like the extra width, would have helped at the birthday party, and the extra reach would be nice when just walking around. Downside is, it's no faster than my lens (but I use the flash anyway?)

2.Sigma 18-50 or 17-70, but I don't know much about either. Advantage is, they're both faster.
3.ditto for the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8

In addition, I'm seriously thinking of getting the 85 f/1.8. I had considered the 60 f/2.8, but the more I look at what I shoot (people indoors, dogs outdoors), the more I think I'd like the 85 for a portrait lens.

However, suppose I get the Canon 15-85.

1.Is it significantly sharper than the 18-55 outdoors, and indoors when using a flash (or even when I need to shoot without a flash, but crank up the ISO, etc)?

2.I know it won't have the same bokeh as the 85 f/1.8, but how is it as a portrait lens?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow