Am I the only person who has been fooled by "Full Press Snap"?

Started May 24, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gerd Waloszek Contributing Member • Posts: 796
Am I the only person who has been fooled by "Full Press Snap"?

Hi all,

My apologies for this double posting (posted also in ricohforum), but I thought that the topic might be of interest to GXR users in this forum, too.

I would like to present an issue with the GXR that has fooled me for quite some time: Fuzzy images where the focus is way too far in the foreground - with both the A12 and the S10 modules (I even sent my S10 module for inspection to Ricoh, and it was returned to me as being OK. With the S10, however, things are a bit more complex...). My first assumption was that Multi AF had been irritated by foreground objects, but there were even photos without any foreground objects that exhibited false focus.

As the story is a bit too long for a post, I present the details (and sample images) on a Web page: http://www.waloszek.de/gxr_fps_e.php

To make things short, I found out that it was obviously the "full press snap" function, which caused these "focus issues." This function is ON by default and switches to fix focus (default is 2.5m) if you press the shutter-release button too early (particularly if you are in a hurry...). Regrettably, it is not transparent to me, whether and when the switch to fix focus is done - autofocus may start its focus search, and nevertheless focus switches to autofocus. On other occasions, focus is OK - fix focus seems to have lost the race...

My recommendation for Ricoh would be to change the default for this function to OFF so that impatient users are not fooled by it. An indication in the viewfinder, whether autofocus or fix focus was used in the end would also be welcome, as would some EXIF data that document a number of focus data (at least my applications do not show any focus information).

Best regards, Gerd

Gerd Waloszek's gear list:Gerd Waloszek's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Ricoh GR Leica X Vario Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS200 +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow