s900/9000 GREAT way to unclog printhead!!!

Started Oct 8, 2002 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Seth Ehrlich Regular Member • Posts: 257
s900/9000 GREAT way to unclog printhead!!!

I had a printhead go bad on my 2 month old s900. Many clogged nozzles on the nozzle check. Tried everything to unclog - including the many solutions presented on this forum. Nothing worked - Canon sent me out a new printhead and all is fine for now.

I started playing around with the old one trying to figure out a better way to clean it. I thought if I could get a high pressure stream of water forced through the printhead maybe I could dislodge whatever was caked in there.

This is what I came up with: I took a 5cc syringe and attached a needle to it. I was then able to slip about a 3inch length of ordinary drinking straw onto the hub of the needle making a very secure water-tight fit. The other end then fit very snuggly over the round sponge inside the printhead. I then injected 5cc of hot water and low and behold about 50 very fine streams of colored water shot out forcefully from the bottom of the printhead. I repeated this for all six colors three times - let it dry for 2 hours and guess what?? - The printhead now works perfectly.

The beauty of this method is that you don't have to run water over the whole printhead, potentially damaging the electronic circuitry. No Windex was required - just high pressure hot water. I was able to completely flush all of the ink through with just 3 injections per color taking less than 5 minutes to perform.

I work in an operating room so needles and syringes were easy to come by for me, but for the rest of you - the syringes and needles (sharp or blunt) can be ordered from Weink. The drinking straws that I happened to have in the house just happened to fit perfectly over the sponge inside the printhead but you may have to shop around for the correct diameter since it must be watertight so that it doesn't just pop off when you inject. Make sure you use a short length of straw - it's easier to hold the whole contraption together that way when injecting.

Again this very easily unclogged a previously unsalvagable printhead, further proving in my mind that the heads are not going bad - just getting gunked up.

Seth

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Vgh
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow