So long - its been fun.

Started May 3, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
*isteve Veteran Member • Posts: 9,509
So long - its been fun.

Having been a member of the Pentax SLR forum since 2003 I am finally migrating to Nikon land. The decision was based on the desire to buy into a better supported system with a wider range of accessories and supporting utilities. I plan to develop my corporate and travel photo business over the next few years and as things stand it's hard to justify leaning on a minority brand hats only available in a handful of places, and which only a handful of third parties support.

As the recipient of a D700 and D90 and a handful of nice lenses, I can say that its not all milk and honey. Pentax still has a lot to offer any enthusiast and there are many aspects of the interface I took for granted that I will miss horribly

• The Green Button (especially in M mode)

• Visual WB tuning on an existing shot (and accurate WB)

• Automatic auto-ISO shutter speed setting based on program line and lens FL

• Easy access to LV and most shooting controls without using menus

Both Nikons have also taken some fine tuning to deliver an exposure and colour balance I like and I miss in-camera SR as well.

It also broke my heart to part with the three FA LTDs and my FA* tele primes but to be quite honest, they got too little use which is why they are still absolutely mint.

Yes, the D700 is in a different league on the AF front, and the ISO noise is very nice indeed. I feel quite comfortable using ISO1600 in place of ISO 400 on the K7 and seem to have a stop more DR at both ends. So, it does what is says on the tin.

The D90 also beats the K7 for AF (though not by that much with non-pro lenses) but falls behind in most other areas esp video. Metering is also too hot. However, its about to be replaced so its pretty cheap right now with cashback and it can also be tuned in quite effectively.

However the real Nikon bonus for me is the ability to download different Picture Controls from the web and store them on the camera. These are then not only recognised by Capture NX, but you can then edit the picture in capture NX and copy the updated control back to the camera. Amazing. You can set up the perfect control for your own studio and then reproduce the same thing forever with no PP. If you are doing a studio shoot or an event, this is simply major league productivity enhancement.

So....*isteve buys a FF camera despite all his former resistance? Answer in the reply...
--
Steve

Any fool can take a picture OF something. Its much harder to take a picture ABOUT something.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KSV
KSV
KSV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow