S90, P Mode, how to learn more about

Started Apr 30, 2010 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
gail Forum Pro • Posts: 13,724
P Mode suggestions

DonnaDB wrote:

I've been studying the manual but having difficulty finding any information on P-mode.

P Mode, which I use almost exclusively with my s90, is an automatic mode that, unlike full auto, lets you tweak various settings. The setting I change most is Exposure Compensation when shooting in bright outside light, and white balance when shooting inside in low light. I also often use AE-Lock in bright light.

In P-Mode you can assign functions to the front control ring, the rear control dial and the shortcut button. Here are my settings for P Mode, which I change when necessary:

• Shooting mode

• Auto Focus frame — Center, normal size

• Metering — Evaluative

• Image Stabilization: Shoot Only

• Sensitivity – Auto ISO

• Exposure Compensation: -1/3 to - 2/3 for outside photos

• Control ring - assigned to ISO (automatically sets the control dial to Exposure Compensation)

• Shortcut button – AE Lock

• iContrast - OFF

• Custom colors — increase saturation, decrease red (both by one tick)

• Flash – OFF

• Auto focus assist lamp — ON

• Red-eye mode — OFF

• White balance — AUTO

• Digital Zoom — OFF

These settings may not be suitable for everyone, but they work most of the time for me. I offer them here as they might give you some idea where to look in the s90 manual to learn more about using P Mode.

Refer to the manual with camera nearby to try various settings. Take plenty of test photos. If you have additional questions as you're learning, don't hesitate to ask.
--
gail ~ http://www.pbase.com/gailb

My Canon s90 BLOG: http://www.digicamhelp.com/camera-logs/canon-s90/canon-s90-first-impressions/

gail's gear list:gail's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow