Why don't you just step back a bit for a crop body? compared to a FF.

Started Apr 26, 2010 | Discussions thread
LeoR Regular Member • Posts: 410
Re: Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't, but...

Crocodile Gena wrote:

The reason the noise would be the same is because since the crop camera is 1.6x further away than the FF camera for the same framing (but different perspectives), the light reaching the lens will be 2.56x (1.6^2) times less intense. Thus, it needs an aperture with 2.56x the area (1.6x the diameter) to collect the same amount of light for a given shutter speed.

And, once again, if the FF camera is at 50mm f/1.4, the crop camera is once again SOL because it cannot get an aperture large enough to make up for the greater distance.

Huh???

Are you saying exposure changes as the camera moves away from the subject? As you move away from the subject, intensity decreases and thus requires a larger aperture? I'm going to have to see some proof of this theory!

The inverse square rule does apply if you are using a camera mounted light source. In the case of any sort of daylight photography, exposure is the same whether you are 1 foot or 100 feet from your subject because the light source is 96,000,000 miles away. Last time I shot my kids playing soccer in the sunshine, I don't recall the opposite side of the field being dark or having to adjust my manual exposure setting as they moved closer or further away.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Guv
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow