First proper day out with the HS10

Started Apr 28, 2010 | Discussions thread
OP davestravelgear Contributing Member • Posts: 513
My findings!!

My thoughts from the first proper outing were mixed but generally positive, the firmware update certainly fixed the delete bug, you are now returned to the next image which replaces the one deleted, and there is now no blank space like before!

The lens is just amazing for what it is, how they manage to wring out that much range in such a small and lightweight package is beyond me!

There is a small amount of distortion at the wider end, near the edges, but unless your really looking for it, then it's not much of a problem. At the long end, it's very good, but you just have to brace the camera well or use a tripod, just the slightest movement, and it dances all over the place, I even noticed during a freehand HD test, that I could see my heart beat at or near full zoom, and it is quite difficult to follow wildlife when it fills the EVF.

The EVF, the biggest disappointment in my book, I like to use it almost exclusively, except for macro, but it is just too small and dull, and I can't seem to find any brightness adjustment, which the LCD has.

Still getting the battery warning light, although a fully charged set of 2700mAh NiMH got me through the day no problem, and I took 230 pics and a couple of HD videos.

I did have one session while having a spot of lunch and taking pics of the Bunting, where the camera just would not focus on the target, in the end I went for manual, and returned it to AF-S afterwards, and it seemed fine!

All in all, I'm quite happy with the results, still lots of experimenting to do, it's easy to use, and for my intended use, as a travelling/wildlife camera, it's one of the better offerings out there at the moment, lightweight, not too bulky, HD, tilting LCD screen and a huge lens when needed..............I just need to keep a compact/lightweight tripod nearby in future!!
Peace
http://toptravelgear.blogspot.com/

The High speed Eurostar runs alongside the reserve, managed to get this quick shot as it sped past!

davestravelgear's gear list:davestravelgear's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow